Sunday, April 10, 2011

Hail’s pounding just one more tic.

I checked on the marina today with a bit of trepidation considering the rains of the past couple of days, especially the pounding we got Friday night/Saturday morning.  For those of you that missed it, I was awoken about 4:00 am to the sound of bean-sized hail bouncing off the roof.  After reregistering on what it was that I was hearing I remembered I hadn’t gotten around to putting the car in the garage.  Worried about possible hail damage I dash out to remedy that.  Ten to fifteen seconds to get to the car, and a like amount of time to get from the garage to the back door:  20 to 30 seconds in the rain and I was soaked to the bone.  I had to wring my jeans out in the tub.  A rain like that practically bounces along the ground and into the storm drains to the river, especially coming on top of the earlier rains that would have saturated the ground.  However I was relieved to see that river had only ticked another inch or so higher in the preceding 24 hours, it’s typical ascent for the past several days.  Bringing home the point again that what happens locally is not as critical as what goes on to the north of us.

            The marina’s road on the far end leading to 100 and 200 docks (closed for a while now) now has running water over it, and the total amount of that back parking lot that remains dry is a section of road with room for about two cars.  Friday the guard geese were patrolling near the road's barricades, but today they were again absent.

No comments:

Post a Comment